Today we’ll be taking an in-depth look at the Samsung Galaxy S21 ultra 5G smartphone that’s been taking over the mobile industry!
Released in the beginning of 2021 this phone is really creating a buzz. Starting at just $499 this phone is a steal for the feature-set, you can even trade in your old phone with most carriers to get it for cheaper. If paying monthly, the average carrier charges about $12-$14 per month for 36 months.
Features of The Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
Now, let’s discuss the phone. The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is an amazing phone in every single way imaginable. Some of the best features yet include:
- Designed from the ground up with a new sleek appearance
- This phone can even be used with the “S PEN”
- The CPU in this thing is the best in any Samsung phone. It’s the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888. With 5G built in.
- 128GB of storage is standard on this phone, that’s a lot of Gigabytes!
- Samsung claims the battery life will last you, you shouldn’t need to recharge this in the middle of the day. Specifically the battery is rated for 5000 mAh
- 16GB of RAM makes this beefier than most laptops.
- A fingerprint sensor, except it’s built into the screen. We miss this feature on our iPhones, it was great!
- Of course Samsung always offers a unique color scheme choice on these phones, iPhones only have about 3 or 4 colors. Red was the most daring (Yes, I have the red iPhone).
The Screen On The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G – Wow It’s Amazing!
The 6.8″ screen has a refresh rate of 120Hz – Most computer monitors don’t even have that. The screen provides the best possible resolution compared to any other Samsung phone. To be specific it has QHD, which is 3200x 1440, which Samsung is very proud of. With a whooping five hundred and fifteen pixel per square inch, there’s a lot it can detail for you.
Of course the display also features the curved edges to make it look like the image or screen is wrapping around the phone, this is something Samsung pioneered.
The best camera in its class, The S21 Ultra 5G has no competitors!
The Camera on the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is out of this world amazing!
- It features a zoom rate of 100x, which seems to be the top tier when to zooming a a camera, no other vendor competes. The best iPhone available can only do about 3x zoom, which is 97x less!
- 40 mega pixels for the front camera, no other phone manufacturer (not even apple) has a 40 mp front cam.
- 108 mega pixels for the back camera – Some might claim MP doesn’t matter but we disagree.
- Look at the back, there are 1, 2,3, 4, 5 cameras, yes 5 cameras!
- The wide lens allows for taking in more photons in the lens and creating a bigger, better image.
- You can take 4k videos at 60 fps, that’s studio quality.
- Want to go beyond? 8k video can be shot at 24 fps.
The S Pen – It’s Actually Useful
This accessory has over four thousand sensitivity detectors built in to give you guided precision when drawing and sketching, taking notes, or editing digital media. The S pen is thin. From a thickness perspective, it’s about 0.07 centimeters. Compared to a regular pencil, which is about 0.7 centimeters.
There’s also a quick feature built into the phone when it detects the S pen over it, menus pop up. The menu offers you the ability to quick:
- Start taking notes in an app
- review all of the previous notes taken
- quickly select areas of the screen with a rectangle for screenshots or other functions
- start sketching on the screen or marking up your phone’s images, notes, or just general apps
- quickly type messages or sketch messages out to your loved ones
The only downside of the S pen on this phone is there’s really no where to put it on the phone. You’ll need to purchase a case that has a slot for the S pen, which there are many of.
We found ourselves using the S pen quite a bit, especially with the lovely screen on the S21 being almost 7 inches (really it’s 6.8). The S pen was great at taking long winded notes, at work, we’d pull it out, take notes down, and walk away. Syncing the notes to a familiar account to be accessed from a PC is the key to increasing productivity.
Now The “Bad” Everyone Is Talking About – Storage
The Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G storage is a hot topic. Every tech review we’ve read on this phone and people we’ve spoken to go crazy about this phone not having a microSD slot. I honestly don’t really care about microSD slots. If the phone comes standard with 128GB, do we really need another 128 or 256GB storage expansion slot? The answer is probably not. If you need more storage, get a sync service like Dropbox, or if you’re tech-savvy enough, run your own with OwnCloud.
Furthermore, if you just hate the idea of paying for a service like Dropbox, then just cough up a little more money and get the 256GB or 512GB models. Half a terabyte of storage on a phone should be enough for anyone, even power users.
What’s In The S21 Box?
With the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G you get a USB Type C data cable for charging and transferring files, an ejection pin for adding a sim card, and finally a quick start guide that no one will ever read. Samsung must be legally obligated to include the guide. One thing you may think we forgot is the charger, we didn’t, Samsung did. The S21 Ultra 5G does not come with a wall charger, just the USB Type C cable.
So Is The Samsung S21 Ultra 5G Worth It?
Is the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G worth it you ask? Yes, we think so. The camera is amazing, nothing will zoom like it. Sometimes the novelty of a cool camera on a phone wears off, this won’t. We found ourselves constantly taking photos with this thing’s 5 built in cameras. The optical zoom is what really makes it breath taking. And of course, it’s the flagship model so it’s going to be pricey, but we think it’s worth it. The CPU performance is great, the chipset provides great battery life. And of course, the S pen introduction in this class is something we really enjoyed on the S21, you’ll actually find yourself using it quite a bit!